Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My First Layout: Ideas an extras

Here is a quick sketch of my final touches to the layout. I have decided to add a mine entrance and a small rail system that will lead to the coal depot. I will just use some rails taken from some of my extra track to create the rail system. it won't actually be a working rail, and I'm still trying to figure out how I am going to create the carts.




after posting my progress on modeltrainforum.com, a contributor mentioned something I had kind of put aside. Tunnel portals. I wanted to build my own and go for a rustic mining feel but never found the information I wanted. I then started doing some backward research, looking up types of wood for small things like doll houses, then how to age them. I finally came to balsa/bass wood and some aging techniques that I think will work really well.

Here are some sample ideas for the tunnel portals


No comments:

Post a Comment