Monday, December 26, 2011

My First Layout: Basic Terrain and Finishing Touches to Come

I have finished my basic terrain as of now. My last steps are blending my buildings into the terrain, adding a dirt road, and then adding other little things like people, animals, cars, signs, and more.

Here are some shots of my progress.



To add my base terrain I first covered my rails with some masking tape, then sprayed down the entire layout with scenic spray. I then sprinkled on a mixed fine green turf. Once I covered the entire layout I added a medium green turf on top to add some depth. I then added bushes, gluing them down with elmers glue. Once I was happy with the base terrain I then sprayed the entire layout with more scenic spray. The trees are just sitting on the layout until I get some more and decide where I want to put them for sure. I still need to get some light grey ballast to add my gravel roads and parking lots.
You may have noticed a new locomotive in the shots above. It is a bachmann 0-6-0 from a Yard Boss set I won off of ebay for a mere $26.

  


It runs fairly well. I also won a lot of rolling stock that game with a Life Like GP38 that just needed a good cleaning. Now I have 3 descent engines to run on this layout, along with a good amount of rolling stock. I am looking around for a lumber load for this setup. I have 5 coal cars and a handful of box cars/tanks but no lumber loads to match my lumber yard.







No comments:

Post a Comment