Thursday, December 22, 2011

My First Layout: Design and Weathering.

My first layout will be a simple pizza style layout, with two industries and a single mainline circle. it will have a few hills, a large hill with a tunnel through, and a small pond/lake. 

I have created a  rough idea as to what I plan on doing.


Though this was a bit more than I ended up doing I did stick to it fairly well. The water will end up on a hill in the corner and the lake will be just at the base of the hill/mountain. The saw mill is actually now a lumber yard.

Now on to my set. I chose the cheapest N scale set I could find. I was very surprised at how good the set looks and runs. As soon as I got it, i went ahead and aged the loco and rolling stock.


I used artist charcoal and matte clear coat spray paint to complete this task. I turned the drawing charcoal into powder and applied it to the models with a small fan brush. i then used air duster to blow off any extra dust, and then sealed the look with the clear coat. The great thing about the charcoal method is you can easily remove any mistakes before sealing it in.

I also weathered my buildings using the same method.






Weathering really brings out the realism in a model railroad. If your loco and buildings all look brand new, your layout will lose its realism.

In my next post I will go over my method of creating the base and hills for my layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment